Does Riverside County Need 71 More Hotels?
By Jonathan Lansner
Riverside County got two new hotels so far this year with 71 more in the works.
And Riverside County isn’t alone. Regionally, 11 hotels just opened and 472 are in some stage of development, according to Atlas Hospitality’s first-half summary of the hotel construction scene.
Here are five Riverside County hotel trends to know …
1. New: Two openings with 337 rooms — Courtyard Murrieta Riverside with 183 rooms and Hotel Paseo in Palm Desert with 154 rooms.
2. Compared to: Three openings with 411 rooms last year.
3. Building: 15 hotels under construction vs. 10 a year ago — up 50 percent. Rooms being built total 2,196 — a 18.7 percent jump.
4. Drawing board: 56 hotels planned vs. 52 a year ago — up 8 percent. Rooms in planning total 9,370 — off 4 percent.
5. Current results: CBRE Hotels reports room rates in the western Inland Empire rose 4.4 percent in a year to $123 a night as 78.5 percent of rooms were full vs. 77.6 percent a year earlier.